While large public events have been postponed for the immediate future because of COVID-19, it is still possible for individuals and small groups to paddle responsibly. The Mississippi River Water Trail Association recommends that paddlers adopt the safe paddling procedures developed by the American Canoe Association. These include:
- Stay home if you’re sick and contact your doctor for care
- Limit the size of your groups to no more than ten people
- Maintain at least six feet of separation between people at all times. That means shuttles are not recommended; individual paddlers should arrange their own transportation
- Wash your hands frequently, don’t share food or water containers, and frequently clean surfaces you touch
- Minimize travel time and distance, and be sure to follow state and local rules for quarantine and isolation if you do travel
- Paddle well below your skill level to reduce the risk of injury and need for rescue
You can read the full set of COVID-19 recommendations for paddlers at the ACA website.